MaaruGo-Maaruga

I saw the movie Vetrivizha in my secondary school days... 18 years ago..

There are many things I remember of that movie.. The villian played by the character called 'Jinda' was a new face.. I still remember his real name as 'Saleem Gous'..

Name of Kamal as an under cover agent penetrating his network was "Stephen Raj"..

When Jinda asks Stephen Raj to join his gang, Stephen mocks him that he is fit enough to play, only with the Toy guns meant for kids that can be purchased from 'Funskool'..

Mind is a strange thing that somehow remembers a lot of trash.. for ever.. for reasons you don't know...

Other memory that I carried forward from this movie was its opening sequence... Kamal is chased down, Shot and gets drowned in the sea (Falls from a cliff I think ..!!??); Its another trash memory if not for what follows.. The Titles of the movie.. A Rustic folky tune that transformed me that day from a remote corner of Southern Tamil Nadu to the Konkan Coast.. instantly..

Unlike Saleem Gous, it was an experience I carried with me for ever for reasons I know.. Its one of those that didn't go to my head but to a place a feet lower to the left..

To this date, I remember the tune of that pallavi... That visuals... and those intermittent chatter of fishermen (Signaling the dusk and returning home perhaps.. I don't know Konkani, which is my best guess of the language in which the song is based..)

But heart ultimately depends on the head and it could only remember so much.. My cluttered memory never remembered the Stanzas and I had long resigned to the fact that I will never listen that song again in my life, Until I came across the video here..

As I hear this song after all these years, something astonishing strikes me in face...

THIS IS THE FIRST AND ONLY INSTANCE IN A RAAJA SONG WHERE A FULL LENGTH SONG WITH A REGULAR METER IS COMPLETELY BACKED BY GUITAR STRUMMING ALONE FOR RHYTHM + BASS GUITAR... With no percussion instruments whatsoever. Not even symbols or a metronome on the full count..

See it for self..
Maarugo Maaruga

(I think you lost yourself and didn't pay attention.. Why don't you listen to it once more and take a note of the peculiarity.. )

I mean we have songs like "Naan porandhu Vandhu" (Maaya Bazaar) with no rhythm instruments and only voices.. But the specialty here is - the kind of original genre to which this song fits...

Set in Folky environment, with only guitar strumming as the backbone for the whole song, bass guitar providing the necessary drone, sung by a solo lead singer (Raaja in this case) and Solo wind instruments providing the side act (Flute in this case and typically Harmonica) and above all downright SIMPLE and elegant..... This is a perfect fit into the American Folk/ Country Genre made popular all over by the American Singer-Songwriters

Blowing In the wind - Bob Dylan
Starry Starry night - Don M'c Lean
The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
This Old Guitar - John Denver
Maarugo Maaruga - Ilaiyaraaja..


Its indeed a special feeling...

With Love
Vicky

Labels: , ,